Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Rotkohl and cauliflower mash potato

My grandfather on my mother's side was German. My Mom made a typical German dish for the family when I was growing up which consisted of Rouladen, wrapped onion, pickle, mustard and bacon in thinly sliced beef, Rotkohl, boiled red cabbage, and mashed potatoes. This is one of the dishes I miss the most since I've become vegetarian. I went to my Mom's house last week and she was cooking some boiled red cabbage so I decided to give this German staple a vegan swirl. 

Vegan Rotkohl Ingredients
1/2 yellow onion diced
3 slices vegan bacon, chopped (I used Light Life smart bacon)
1/2 red cabbage, shredded
1 gala apple, quartered
1/2 cup red wine
1 tbsp honey
1 cup water or apple juice
1 bay leaf
ground black pepper

Directions
1. Sauté onions and bacon in a drizzle of evoo for about 5 minutes.
2. Add cabbage and cook another few minutes.
3. Add apples, honey, spices, wine, water/juice. 
4. Let simmer at medium heat for about an hour. You may need to add more water/juice/wine as cabbage soaks up liquid.
5. Serve cabbage as side w/out apples.


Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes 
Ingredients
Medium head of cauliflower, cut into florets
2 red potatoes, cut into chunks
1 yukon gold potato, cut into chunks
3 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp vegan butter
garlic salt
ground pepper
sea salt

Directions
1. Boil potatoes and cauliflower for about 15 minutes, until tender.
2. Drain. Pour back into pot. With potato masher, mash cauliflower and potatoes. Add butter, milk, and spices to desired taste.
3. Continue mashing until smooth.


Man this came out beautiful! And the cauliflower is soo good! Next time I am making the mash with only cauliflower to cut carbs. 

genießen!!!

-Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment